Calculate CIS for your invoices
Here’s how to deduct Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) payments from your invoices with YourTradebase.
Turn CIS on and set a default rate
In order to deduct CIS from your invoices, you need to turn CIS on and set the relevant rate. Here’s how:
- Visit Settings > Invoices
- Under the ‘Construction industry scheme (CIS)’ header, choose to turn on CIS…
- If you’re a sub-contractor who is deducted CIS at 20%, select ‘Yes – deduct CIS from invoices at 20% rate‘
- If you’re a sub-contractor who is deducted CIS at 30%, select ‘Yes – deduct CIS from invoices at 30% rate‘
- More information on which rate might apply to you can be found on the gov.uk website here
Your changes will be saved automatically.
CIS is now turned on and will be available to deduct from your invoices at your selected rate.
Deduct CIS from invoices
Once CIS has been turned on, CIS will be deducted from the labour total of the invoice, at the rate you selected.
The labour total is the total of all 'Labour' amounts added to work items.
You can change the rate of CIS to 0%, 20%, or 30% for each invoice you create.
If you choose a 20 or 30% CIS rate, that deduction will be displayed on your invoice when you download, print or email it.
Don’t deduct CIS from some invoices
If you are creating invoices that don’t require CIS to be deducted (perhaps for your own private customers rather than contractors), you can turn CIS to 0% and no deduction will be made.
When you save your invoice, a CIS won’t be shown in the totals breakdown if it is set to 0%.
Always deduct CIS for certain customers
If you have customers that you always deduct CIS for, you can set up YourTradebase to take care of that for you. Here's how:
- Visit the customer
- Select '… > Edit'
- At the bottom of the screen, select 'change' and then choose the applicable CIS rate
- Save changes
Now, whenever you invoice that customer, we'll automatically apply CIS for any labour costs and you can turn CIS off for any invoices manually.
Note: VAT reverse charge is only available to customers in the UK.